- For children who are 2 years old by September 1st.
- One teacher to no more than seven children.
- May attend 2, 3, or 5 days per week, either Tues/Thurs, Mon/Wed/Fri, or Mon-Fri.
In our two year old classes (the "Sparrows" and "Caterpillars"), we recognize that children at this age have moved on to a more advanced stage of development. They have learned how to walk well, are more physically enabled, and are beginning to communicate using single words. They have also started to “parallel play" with other children and have entered the exploring stages of childhood. Toddlers are constantly discovering and are eager to learn new things. When you enter the two year old classroom, you will find an active, fun filled environment where curiosity is evident.
In the Twos classes, children enjoy a flexible schedule of classroom activities, including art, music, sensory play, discovery play, story-time, and creative movement. New ideas and concepts are being presented in a fun and playful way where they become engaged while learning at the same time. Weather permitting, all classes enjoy outside play on the playground and outdoor lunch and snacks several times a month.
- Physical Development
- Coordinate large gross motor skills to learn how to use ride-on toys, bounce balls, dance, leap, etc.
- Increase balancing skills
- Build on fine motor skills by writing, drawing, cutting, etc.
- Begin to develop and practice self-help skills such as hand washing, self feeding, and dressing him/herself
- Cognitive Development
- New vocabulary daily
- Begin to identify basic colors, shapes, numbers, and some letters
- Continue to use senses to learn about the environment
- Begin to utilize problem solving techniques and make predictions
- Social/Emotional Development
- Begin to play alongside or “parallel play" with other students rather than alone
- Imitate actions of others
- Begin to learn to share and cooperate with others
- Express creativity and individuality through music and dance
- Developing interest in dramatic play
Twos Class Daily Schedule
Arrival - Table Activity & Free Play
Story and Music Time
Art, music, science, or sensory play
Snack & Diaper Change or Bathroom Break
Transition to Playground
Transition to Classroom
Wash Hands/ Prepare for Lunch
Lunch & Diaper Change or Bathroom Break
Group Time - Stories and Songs