Who We Are
Morningside Day Out (MDO) is an independent, not for profit, parents' morning out and preschool program with a nurturing environment for children aged 6 months through Pre-K.
For more than 30 years, we have offered a half-day, play-based, educational preschool program that welcomes children and families of all ethnic, racial, religious, and cultural backgrounds. We are located at the corner of Lavista and Briarcliff, convenient to all of Atlanta's Intown neighborhoods. For information about our classes, see Program Overview.
Interested in taking a tour? Give us a call at 404-634-5889...we'd love to get to know you!
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
MDO is a place where children discover and grow, where each child finds a comfortable place within both small and large groups. Our program provides the opportunity to interact with peers as well as engage in activities that promote cognitive, social, and physical development in a relaxed, nurturing, and supportive atmosphere. At our school, PLAY is the vehicle through which children learn.
Our Mission Statement
MDO encourages and supports children as they grow to become enthusiastic, lifelong learners. We are a small, nurturing community that values learning through purposeful play. MDO inspires a spirit of discovery in a creative learning environment where children can grow physically, socially, emotionally, and cognitively as they explore the world around them.
Why Play-Based Learning?
More and more, play and imagination are disappearing from preschool and kindergarten programs. Yet research has consistently shown that children learn most effectively through hands-on play. At MDO, we are dedicated to providing not only a safe, warm environment away from parents, but also a place of education where children are prepared for kindergarten, elementary school, and beyond. For more information on play-based learning and its benefits in early childhood education, please see the following articles:
- Crisis in the Kindergarten: Why Children Need to Play in School (Alliance for Childhood)
- Want To Get Your Kids Into College? Let Them Play (CNN)
- Let's Play! Using Play Based Curriculum to Support Children's Learning throughout the Domains (Early Childhood News)
- The Case For Play (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Experiential Learning and Play in PreK and Kindergarten (Alliance for Childhood)
- The Worksheet Dilemma: Benefits of Play-Based Curricula (Early Childhood News)
- Email: Director@MorningsideDayOut.org
- Location: Peachtree Baptist Church (Lower Level)
2108 Briarcliff Road
Atlanta, GA 30329
- Mailing Address: Morningside Day Out
P.O. Box 8986
Atlanta, Georgia 31106